I love my crock pot, but have never attempted scalloped potatoes in it before, so today I went out on a limb, per say. I took my favourite scalloped potatoes recipe from my beloved Betty Crocker cookbook and make it useful for the crock pot. Results…We Loved It! My husband found the potatoes to be a lot more moist than when I put them in the oven, and my son, well, he ate 3 helpings!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings
- 6 potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 C. cooked ham; chopped
- 3 tbsp dairy-free margarine (or regular margarine or butter if not dairy-free)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 tbsp all purpose gluten free flour (or regular AP Flour if not gluten free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 C. milk of choice (I use almond milk for DF)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Melt margarine in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook onion in margarine until soft. Stir in flour, salt & pepper until smooth & bubbly. Remove from heat
- Stir in milk and heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Grease crock pot with oil. Add sliced potatoes and ham. Pour sauce over potatoes and stir. Set crock pot to low heat and cook for 6-7 hours, stirring every 2-3 hours and pressing potatoes back into the sauce.